The church is dedicated to the “Assumption” and is situated at the top of the village, being considered a historical monument. The exact date of its construction cannot be determined, but on the rectangular tombstone next to the southern wall, the inscription, written in Cyrillic, can be seen: “Under this stone lie the bones of God’s servant master Ilie Cujmăreţ from Kiprovat dead in the year of the Lord 1719”.
Is is possible that Ilie Cujmăreţ was one of the Bulgarian merchants that, in order to sell their silverware, used to roam every village, during the early eighteenth century. The fact that the inscription is written all around the stone’s edges leads to the conclusion that stone originally covered a tomb inside the church, and during the expansion work done to the church, it was removed and buried outside. Remnants of foundations belonging to the shrines of the two older churches in the village, mentioned in documents dating from 1358, were found within the church. They also found bones and silver coins dating back to the sixteenth century. On a brick the interior northern side of the tower wall, there is the following inscription: “Mason Oprea from Făgăraș 1757” and the year 1795 is incrusted on top og the tower. The church has the shape of a boat without side aisles and it is covered with tile. It has only one tower, with a roof in the shape of two galvanized overlapping onion bulbs. The walls are made of stone and brick having a thickness of 1.3 meters. The tower walls are adorned with garlands of circles and ovals made of red brick, visible against the white plaster.
On the inside, the church has three successive arches, the middle one being the highest, with a spherical dome shape. Under the front arch, the semicircular foundations of the two shrines of the former church can be observed, ending near the current iconostasis. In the 18th century the new altar was added, and the church tower gained its current size. The oldest part of the current construction is the middle one. This is confirmed by the fresco painting executed in three stages and of three different qualities. The oldest and most valuable paintings are in the middle of the nave and on the side walls of the narthex.
The nave ceiling was built later on, thus having a distinct fresco. Also, the fresco of the front of the nave and the altar is different from the others. In the 80s, tempera style restoration works were done.
Sursa text/foto: http://www.sadu.ro/multimedia/foto/biserica-din-piatra/
Adresă: str. Prundului, nr 36, comuna Sadu, județul Sibiu
Preot: Neagoe Gheorghe