In the village of Boiţa, Sibiu County, there is a castle that, once seen, will certainly remain in one’s memory due to its bright red appearance.
Built in the early fifteenth century, the fortress of Boiţa was an important landmark throughout the history of Transylvania, especially Ottoman battles.
According to legend, after one of the Romanian-Saxon army’s victories, the tower was painted red with the blood of Turks, as a warning. The area was of great significance, being right on the border between the Habsburg Empire and the Ottoman Empire.
The building had a particularly important role during the 1400s: it was first mentioned in a document from 1453, being intended as a customs point toward Wallachia.
Two impressive towers guard the famous castle. The most important one is the house-tower, made after a rectangular plan, with 14 meter long walls, standing four levels high and having a number of narrow windows.
The second tower was built in the fifteenth century, with a hexagonal shape, and 7 meter long walls. This tower is connected to another through a wall, this other tower being a contact way to Sibiu and Ramnicu Valcea. A century ago, the tower was rebuilt completely.
In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the castle was used as a quarantine point for cattle merchants who came from Muntenia.
At the foot of the castle there is a cemetery, at the entrance of which there lies a large open book, carved in stone. There isn’t anything written on its pages, the book itself representing an invitation to read what is written on the crosses.
The message of the crosses is impressive: “During World War I, our Romanians fiercely defended these grounds; in this cemetery, in one pit, 20-30 dead soldiers were thrown together, Romanians and Germans alike. Death wiped away any enmity between them and made them comrades forever. “
From 1917 to 2003, Turnu Roșu Castle was an orphanage, where children whose fathers died in order to defend the country were housed.
Sursa articol: http://www.financiarul.ro/
Location: European route E81, Boiţa village