Sibiu has always been known as the homeland of sheep cheeses and sausages. Its traditional products reflect the richness of the land, but also the cultural diversity of the area. The “telemea” (the Romanian version of feta cheese) and the smoked sheep pastrami have brought fame to those living in the part of the county known as “Mărginimea Sibiului”. A number of Saxon (hencleş or rhubarb pie) and Hungarian (poppy seed cake, plum dumplings) dishes also contributed to the region’s popularity.
Throughout the year tourists can participate in festivals where one can taste delicious dishes prepared using only local products. Sibiu specialties can be found on the tables of restaurants and guesthouses in the area.
List of local producers and products on sale:
- Lucia Barbosa, no. 144 Tălmăcel village, 0740,819,652 – telemea, sheep’s cheese, smoked sheep’s cheese, curd, bellows cheese, sheep pastrami, mutton/pork sausages, black pudding, Tălmăcel meat pudding, smoked bacon, smoked Peci.
- Cecilia Sinea, no. 39 Mihai Vitezul Street, Tălmaciu 0730,651,723 – Dairy
- IF Oancea, no. 66 Mihai Viteazul Street, Tălmaciu 0743,779,690 – Dairy, sheep pastrami, mutton/pork sausages, black pudding, Tălmăcel meat pudding, smoked bacon, smoked Peci.
- II Rusu Simion, no. 21 Unirii Street, Tălmaciu 0746.652.345 – Smoked spicy pork sausages, smoked pork sausages, smoked pork breast, smoked pork sirloin, smoked-dried pork, mutton jelly, mutton sausages, home-made salami, veal sausages.
- SC Vitoșa SRL, no. 2 Ion Creangă Street, Tălmaciu 0269,555,360 – Traditional White/ Semi /Whole wheat bread, traditional walnut cake.
- Nicolae Veștemean, no. 13 Râului Street, Tălmaciu 0269,555,930 – Tălmaciu brandy, Tălmaciu fruit spirit
NOTE: Daily food markets are organized in the center of the “Textiliștilor” marketplace, where you can actually buy traditional local products.
List taken from the Tourism Association of Sibiu County brochure – www.sibiu-turism.ro