The Eocene limestone from Turnu Roșu-Porcești (natural monument known as the “Limestone from Pocești”) make up a protected area of national interest corresponding to IUCN’s third category (paleontological natural reserve), located in the south of Transylvania, in Sibiu County.
The nature reserve was declared a protected area by Law no. 5 of 6 March 2000 (on the approval of the National Landscaping Plan – Section III – protected areas, published in the Official Gazette, 152 of 12 April 2000) and covers an area of 60 hectares.
The limestone from Porcești (natural reserve overlapping the bird protection area of the Făgăraș Piedmont) is a natural area that houses fossil fauna (from the Eocene period) consisting of fragments of fossilized fish, reptiles, sharks, clams and snails.
A large collection of fossil shark teeth can be seen at the Natural History Museum in Sibiu. The reserve attracts, due to its uniqueness, an impressive number of scientists.
Items of paleontological value have been reported to and have preoccupied scientists since 1850. After M.J. Ackner’s study, J. Neugeboren presented, for the first time in Transylvania (1851), the variety of fauna fossils formed millions of years ago in this space, divided by Valea Satului creek, on the south-eastern outskirts of Turnu Roșu village.
Placed on the crystalline support of Făgăraș Mountains, sedimentary rocks (biogenic) here are made up of the fossilized bodies of many species of plants and animals that lived in the sea that once occupied this space.